Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Davor Cengija dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr
Mon Mar 31 10:36:32 EST 2003

Roy Smith wrote:

> abpillai at lycos.com (Anand B Pillai) wrote:
>> [Python] is a true object-oriented language in the spirit of
>> Smalltalk/Java whereas C++ is not one.
>
> I'm all for C++ bashing, but in what way do you think C++ is not "a true
> object oriented language"?  I've heard C++ guys bash Python as not
> object oriented because Python doesn't support private data.  "You mean
> I can bypass the accessor functions and touch an object's data
> directly!?"

That was the first question I asked myself when switched from java to
python. It does feel a little bit strange to be able to dig through the
objects without any limits, but finally, clear documentation is the way to
go ("Private. Don't use directly"). After all, it is posible to reach
private data in java objects as well, by using reflection (some limitations
apply, but it's completelly off-topic here).

Davor

Davor Cengija, dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr