PEP 312 (and thus 308) implemented with a black magic trick

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 19 12:21:24 EST 2003

"Andrew Bennetts" <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:58:28PM -0800, Michele Simionato wrote:
> > Today I had an illumination on how to implement both PEP 312 and
308
> > in current Python. I think I will share the idea, even if I would
*not*
> > recommend to use such a dirty trick in production code.
>
> Nasty. :)
>
> So, who's going to be the first to implement ++x using this
technique?

If, as I understand, this meta technique relies on source text, this
should work.  But not if it looks at code:

>>> def f(): return ++1
>>> import dis
>>> dis.dis(f)
          0 SET_LINENO               1

          3 SET_LINENO               1
          6 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
          9 UNARY_POSITIVE
         10 RETURN_VALUE
         11 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
         14 RETURN_VALUE

Compiler seems to optimize away second unary positive.

Terry J. Reedy