bsddb crashes on windows

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 7 10:17:54 EST 2003

    Jarek> Will [the new bsddb] be compatible with current bsddb code?
    >>
    >> There are two components to compatibility you need to consider, the
    >> API at the Python level and the format of the bits written to
    >> database files.  There is a backwards compatibility API in the new
    >> bsddb package which is compatible with the previous module's API.
    >> The file format will of necessity change, because the version of the
    >> underlying library with Python for Windows will jump from 1.85 to
    >> 4.1.25.

    Vijay> Does this mean that if I use bsddb3 with Python 2.2 I wont have
    Vijay> to make any change when I use the same code base with Python 2.3.

Correct.  You can still call bsddb.hashopen(...) to open a database file.
Assuming you use the same underlying version of Berkeley DB under 2.2 and
2.3 (say, db-3.3.11 or db-4.1.25), you won't even have to fiddle with your
files.  Take a look at

    http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/whatsnew/whatsnew23.html

for a description of the new bsddb module.  I'll try and embellish that a
bit, since it seems to be a point of some confusion.

Skip