Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Mar 21 00:08:55 EST 2003

"Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > Is a Python user anyone who uses any piece of software where even a single
> > Python bytecode is executed, or is a Python user someone who writes Python
> > source code, or is a Python user anyone who downloads or installs a copy of
> > a Python install package or .rpm?
>
> I think the analog of a speaker of a natural language would
> have to be a programmer, not just someone who uses a program
> written in that language.
>
> And as for being a former but not currently active user --
> once you've discovered Python, why would you ever want
> to stop? :-)

I'm not sure... I can't imagine it.

On the other hand, Esperantists have the colloquial term "kabeinto",
meaning roughly "one who has abandoned the movement", from the name
(William?) Kabe, who was apparently a very active enthusiast in the
earlier years but who subsequently vanished quite suddenly from the
Esperanto movement (and without explanation? it's been a while...)

Are there (yet?) any "famous" ex-Pythonistas who have traded in their
trusty whitespace-sensitive language for more mature or younger and
sexier models?

And I'm referring here to those who might have left *voluntarily*,
as we've all heard of those sad cases where the PSU goons forced th