ANN: Ballot for Complementary PEP308 Ternary VOTE

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Mar 5 18:05:11 EST 2003

phil hunt wrote:

> I disagree. I think Condorcet is the best voting system to use for
> this purpose. If the original vote had used it, there would be no
> need for a second one.

It's irrelevant what the best voting system would have been.  The
problem is that second, third, or sixth votes are not going to change
anything.  Only the first vote, however flawed one might feel it was,
counts.

If one wanted to do follow-up votes for one's own edification, it would
have much been much more advisable to wait until the first vote was
complete so that there would be no question of confusion or contention
in an already highly contentious and fairly confused process.

As it stands multiple concurrent votes -- where only one counts -- only
leads to confusion.  Even if you really think the one vote that counts
was poorly done.

/  \ It's a man's world, and you men can have it.
\__/ Katherine Anne Porter
    The laws list / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/laws/
 Laws, rules, principles, effects, paradoxes, etc. in physics.