My CTO is learning Python....

Grzegorz Staniak gstaniak at inka.zagiel.pl
Mon Mar 3 03:54:22 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 03:30:55 -0700, Bjorn Pettersen wrote:

> ...time to run screeming from the building <wink>. His problem, is that
> "There doesn't seem to be any good books on Python". Pressed a little
> more, it was refined to "either the documentation assumes you've never
> programmed before, and spends volumes of text introducing loop
> constructs etc." (that was the commentary on the Tutorial <sigh>), "or,
> the author seems to be in love with the language purely for its advanced
> and obscure features" (he'd hoped 'Thinking in Python' would be like the
> C++/Java equivalent...). Pressed a little bit further, he commented:
> "what I'm really looking for is a quick introduction for someone that
> allready knows C++ or Java".

As a Python newbie I won't even try to comment on the remainder of your
letter, but as far as reading material is concerned, have you shown him
"Dive into Python" (http://diveintopython.org/)? I think that's exactly
what he needs, judging from my own experience. I was in the same
position and expressed my needs in the same tone.

[---]

--
Grzegorz Staniak <gstaniak at zagiel.com.pl>