PEP 312 - Making lambdas implicit worries me, surely it's just the name 'lambda' that is bad...

Greg Ewing (using me at
Wed Mar 12 23:18:54 CET 2003

Thomas Bellman wrote:
> From what I understand, code blocks in Smalltalk
> execute in the same namespace/scope as the surrounding code, and
> cam thus bind variables in the surrounding code.

As far as I remember, they can have their own local
variables, so it's probably more accurate to say
that they execute in a lexically nested scope.
But there's no problem with rebinding variables in an
outer scope in Smalltalk, since all variables are

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
Christchurch, New Zealand