A fun tool for demonstrating or teaching python?

Simon Burton simonb at webone.com.au
Mon Mar 10 17:25:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:30:27 +0000, WP wrote:

> There was a discussion (I found it using groups.google.com) a while ago with
> some people interested in building a very easy-to-use IDE for teaching Python,
> possibly even with Kids.
>
> I am thinking of whipping up something, perhaps with the ability to walk
> through the code ('animated' debugger) and to do something visual or
> graphical, turtle graphics, or a game, or something like that.
>
> Anybody got any recommendations on where to start?  So far I'm leaning
> towards wxPython and maybe PythonCard.  The system would either be a
> hyper-card like tool using Python, or perhaps it would be a Python Logo,
> with the code window on the bottom and a graphics window on the top.
>
> The old Smalltalk 'Alice99' system was a pretty cool way to demonstrate Squeak
> (smalltalk) but although the new Alice (which uses Python) is cool looking, it
> is closed source, so that's no good.
>
> Regards,
>
> Warren

Yes, i'm in the same boat. Am trying pygame now; already have a working
turtle and have started on an animated execution tracer...

pygame cause i've had trouble with other stuff on the various platforms i
need it for. (haven't tried wx yet...)

Let me know if you get pygame working; i'll send you what i have done.

Simon Burton.