urllib and persistence

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:12:43 EST 2003

> > to know your surname, for example. So I don't think that wget will
> > help.
>
> Actually wget is able to load cookies from Netscape-format cookies.txt
> files, so if you did a first login with Netscape you could then use
> wget with the --load-cookies option.  I read on wget's manual, but
> haven't tried myself, that from Internet Explorer you can produce a
> textfile that wget can use

It works!

I used wget rather than python to do the download - it just seems
plain easier to do it that way.

Here's a summary of what I discovered, in case others
find it useful:

One can view cookie details in Nestcape (7.02) by selecting
menu item Edit - Preferences
category Privacy & Security
subsection Cookies
button Manage Stored cookies
tab Stored Cookies

This presents a list of cookies whose details you can inspect.

Cookies can be exported from Internet Explorer
menu File - Import & Export

This exports the cookies as a text file.

TIP:
You may need to edit some of the entries in the cookies.txt file.
Most of the entries are of the form
www.boo.com
and probably require no ammendement, but where you see
boo.com
you may have to prepend a dot, thus:
.boo.com
This can happen if there is more than one way to access the server,
e.g. via www1.boo.com and www2.boo.com