Really, Amazingly Silly Question

Chris Lyon chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 13:03:32 EST 2003

Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote in message news:<jgsl6v467cg6dnj4j1e1pblsskolmaq3kt at 4ax.com>...
> "Nilesta" <nilesta at nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >Second, the question:  Just how exactly do you compile python?  I'm talking
> >write the program, translate it into assembly, smack an .exe on the end of
> >the name and give it to someone who's never heard of python and allow them
> >to run it on their machine by the incredibly complex process of double
> >clicking.
>
> The others have given you suggestions about how to create a single .exe
> from your Python programs, but none of them have attempted to correct your
> fundamental misunderstanding: Python, at this time, is not a compiled
> language.  It does not pass through assembler on its way to being executed.
> The suggestions you got, like py2exe, just bundle up the interpreter exe,
> your script, and any of the standard library scripts you use.  Then, on the
> client system, it expands those into a temporary directory and starts
> interpreting the code.

I think this touches on a very interesting aspect of a particular camp
of programmers view of python.

If you arrive from the 'self taught/ learn by infection' school of
computing which involves NO formal computer training, then you feel
learning the language is all there is to it. You glow at your
comprehension of objects, you nod sagely  contemplating the joy of a
good pickle... But the actual culture and procedure around the
language still appear alien.

Installion seems to fall squarely in this camp. This seems more a
cultural aspect. For instance trying to build a directory structure of
an installed programme seems to not be a concept that installers seem
to address. Now this could be because as a sensible approach this sort
of stuff should be the concern of the programme once it is run on the
final host, but I don't know and nowhere seems to tell me.

Now in this particular case I am probably trying to condense the
computer communities entire thinking on this issue, probably many
procedures have been won out over many years of tribulation, but I
really don't have the time because that timescale is measured
generally in years.

Now there is a try it and see approach that teaches a great deal. But
included in that is the adoption of bad habits and generation of folk
law. I feel this is particularly relevent when you hit linux after
working your way from other more popular operating systems.

If you've used windows installers, it is difficult to understand the
advantages of ./Configure,make, make install especially when they seem
to break more often than not at some stage.

Now this has turned into a os rant, but it is a dilema I have arrived
at because of the world I believe python can reveal.

yours,

A snakelet who wishes to shed the final skins :-)