A library approach to the ternary operator

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Mar 22 20:56:03 EST 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>

>> I still like the idea of a ternary operator, and I'm not afraid to
>> admit it.  However, none of the language solutions were particularly
>> compelling, so I got to thinking about a library approach and came up
>> with this one:
>>
>>       ---- ternary.py-------
>>       def select(x): return x[0]
>>       ---------------------
>
> I would name this 'choose' (let's avoid the confusion with the select
> module and function therein, please!)

No problem; I don't know all the standard libs as well as you do or
I'd have avoided 'select' in the first place.

> AND make it VERY picky to help
> catch usage errors:
>
> def choose(x):
>     assert type(x) is list
>     assert len(x) == 1
>     return x[0]

Oh sure: I would do that in real code but I was seduced by the
simplicity ;-)

> Note that with -O the assert statements get compiled away, so there
> is no real price to pay for this pickiness when the code gets into
> production use -- it's just there to help catch (likely!) mis-usage
> during the development phase.
>
> But, yes, I do like the overall approach.
>

>>     # then...
>>
>>       from ternary import *
>
> (Note what WILL happen each time this from statement is executed
> in a module that also does "import select" -- that's why it's
> somewhat important to pick a better name for the function...!).
> Another likely name might be "pick".

        y = choose(x < 0 and [22.5] or [f(x)])

        y = ternary(x < 0 and [22.5] or [f(x)])

        y = pick(x < 0 and [22.5] or [f(x)])

        y = cond(x < 0 and [22.5] or [f(x)])

        y = if_(x < 0 and [22.5] or [f(x)])

I guess I like the last two, and the last one best of all, because
in my mind there's a nice association between the function name and
the adjacent condition.

>>       select(condition and [true_result] or [false_result])
>>
>> it's just enough prettier than
>>
>>       (condition and [true_result] or [false_result])[0]
>>
>> to be worth using.  Having a function name ("select") there gives us
>> something to attach a nice verbose comment to, while the above, since
>> it uses only language primitives, remains obscure.
>
> Yes, I concur.  Moreover, this ternary.py can easily be widely
> spread and popularized

or spurned, as the case may be ;-)

> to establish a usage base for 'choose' IF people like the approach
> (I'm not gonna guess if they will) -- this may help make a case for
> 'choose' as a built-in, later, if and only if people like and use it
> so much as to warrant that.

It's always nicer to have a transition plan that goes through a
library-only approach first without making core language changes.
That gives the concept a chance to live or die on its own without
forcing people to accept more than they can stomach.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting