Why no RE match of A AND B?

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Mon Mar 3 07:22:56 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> obviously.  That is, I don't hear a lot of people clamoring for such
> functionality, so it's probably not really high on anyone's list.
> (This is the first time I've ever heard of someone suggesting such a
> feature in many years' use of regular expressions.)

The old IBM editors allowed to search for multiple words in any order, but
it was not based on regular expressions. If I remember right, it was used
mainly when you couldn't remember if a variable was 'string_length' or
'length_of_string', so it's more for interactive use than for writing
programs.

Daniel