Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Andy Jewell andy at wild-flower.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 17:45:34 EST 2003

Pythonistas,

I never intended to provoke a huge off-topic thread, with my little throw-away
remark...

If it's all got too off-topic, maybe we should spawn a new sub-group, maybe
comp.lang.python.esperanto.sux ... ? :-)  Hopefully this won't spawn another
78-odd messages, though!  We could always take over an empty
humanities.language sub-group (if there were one)...

But it's been interesting following the ways the thread has developed.  I
think it says something rather nice about this newsgroup.

I've largely refrained from adding fuel to the fire... but I can't let this
(final) thought go:

Do any of you know sign-language?  My misses is learning British Sign
Language, mostly simple stuff at the moment, but we were discussing her most
recent lesson, and it occurred to me that BSL (and maybe ASL too) seem to be
much more regular than English.  Sam (the misses) hasn't done much with
tenses yet, but seems to think that they are expressed explicitly.

Of course, there are no inflections, nor any tonality.  The 'redundancy' that
the signs lack is made up for by the prescribed lip and face movements
associated with each sign - derived from the English pronunciation - that
disambiguate similar looking signs.  The word ordering seems to be quite
free, but there is also a sort of 'right' way to say things, that 'sounds'
better.

Purely out of interest, Sam is going to emai her tutor to ask about the
accuracy of all the above.

Are there any signing Pythonistas out there?  I'd like to know your take on
this, particularly if you use a sign language that is not BSL, ASL or
Macaton.  I'm just guessing, but I'm sure there must be a Chinese Sign
Language...  does that share common ground with ASL and BSL?

Gotta slither,
regards, andyj