Using poplib to access Yahoo Mail

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at
Wed Mar 26 23:11:03 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 06:58, Alpha Alpha wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried using poplib to connect to to connect to my
> Yahoo mail account. I get an error saying please check for the
> error.. etc. And when I log in to my account (using a web browser), I
> get an email saying, "you tried to access Yahoo's pop3 email service,
> which is no longer free .. please subscribe ".. etc

This is correct.  You must pay to access Yahoo mail via pop.

> The point is, when I use a software called poppeeper
> (, to check _new_ messages in my inbox it works
> !! I do not get any email from Yahoo !

The website for poppeeper says that it supports webmail.  Most likely it
is using that rather than POP.

> I wrote to the developer of poppeeper asking how he accessed the yahoo
> account, and his approach seems to be the same (via !

He probably meant that's how it would do it provided you had a POP
account at Yahoo.

> Is it a problem with the poplib module implementation ?
> That said, my objective is to backup all my yahoo emails (around 212
> messages) onto disk, before I run out of space. Poppeeper does not (yet)
>   meet my requirements....

There are a few programs that get Yahoo mail by parsing the HTML mail.
This site lists several:

Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (
(503) 978-6726 x308  (800) 735-0555 x308