improved pickle

Martin v. Löwis martin.vonloewis at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Mar 27 11:32:14 EST 2003

> First, to whom can I write suggestions for the next versions of python?

Depends on how formal you want the suggestions to be. You could write
a Python Enhancement Proposal (PEP), see

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0001.html

Alternatively, you can submit wishes at sf.net/projects/python.

> I have improved the binary pickle module to be able to memorize existing
> objects.

Please understand that the pickle module is meant to be version-independent.
Any improvements to it are unacceptable if they break backwards
compatibility, i.e. if old pickles can't be read anymore with new releases.
(emitting pickles that can't be read in old versions may be acceptable,
depending on how desirable the change is).

> For example if you have a global instance that you don't want to store
into
> the persistence but you do want to restore references to it.

I would think this is supported today, by means of the
persistent_id/persistent_load functions.

Regards,
Martin