How to get IP address

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Mar 5 20:14:48 EST 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

>         My dial-up address doesn't show at all (though the KPPP stats does
> show both ends: local 165.247.213.30 remote 168.121.1.1
>
>         Of course, I only have the one machine in place, no idea what would
> result if I hooked my laptop to the ethernet card and tried from it.

I've made a really ugly hack as my first Python implementation of
something web related.

#! /usr/bin/env python
#
# Pattern we're looking for:
#
#        <h1 align="center"> Your IP address is<br>
#          200.181.178.165
#        </h1>
#
# Address:
#
#        http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/
#

import urllib
import re
import sys
from HTMLParser import HTMLParser

class ProcessContents(HTMLParser):
    def handle_data(self, data):
        # Debug
        # print data
        ip_address = re.compile("\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+").search(data)
        if ip_address:
            print ip_address.group()

def start():
    # Open and read website...
    sock = urllib.urlopen('http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/')
    pagina = sock.read()
    sock.close()

    process = ProcessContents()
    process.feed(pagina)

if (__name__ == '__main__'):
    start()

I know I could do that in a much simpler way, but it was a toy to
attach to a bigger thing... It will show you your IP address that is
connected to the Internet.

See you,
--
Godoy.     <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>