OT: Aspergers link

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Mar 17 14:43:50 EST 2003

[removing (Was: ...3.0.8...) from Subject to get this out of filters ;]

Tim Randolph schreef op maandag 17 maart om 01:47:30 +0000:
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message news:<JrEca.87817$zo2.2277263 at news2.tin.it>...
> > Stephen Horne wrote:
> > > I have Aspergers disorder,

Cool!

> > > and as a result I have a strong tendency to
> > > overpedantic use and interpretation of language. Back at school in

Yes, me too. In English however, this problem is smaller because my
vocabulary is smaller. When I just started being active on the internet,
I made a lot of noise and a lot of argument/dispute, for example, I
though some website should be W3C AAA, while others disagreed, and I
was being unreasonable. At itself, this is not Asperger but rereading it
astonisheh myself about by obstinacy, although that is not Aspergers
either. I find it cool that more Aspergers are using Python, any
others reading this? Let's make an Aspergers Python User Group ;)

I have been active in nl.comp.programmeren, n.politiek and n.c.os.linux
long ago. However, I could not withhold there, because of the atmospehere,
since I am very bad at withholding "critics" (read: people saying a
13-year-old-boy would never get a job because he is busy flaming) (well
I still am). Please don't say that's normal: it is, but that's because
this is an extreme example, and the less extreme examples aren't noticed
by myself ;).

> > While I've never been diagnosed with any such disorder, I can certainly
> > identify with many (not all) of the symptoms you mention.

Many people say so, but they often do not know what Asperger truly means.
It can be very difficult for Aspergers to have contacts, and for
others to have contacts with Aspergers. Aspergers have difficulties
in making social contacts, it could be called some sort of social
blindness. Actually, it is sort of the default-reflex-reaction. Everyone,
from my Physics teacher to my dad to the man who brought me into a
health-program on TV said so. *Please* don't, because it isn't True...!

Being an Asperger is not _bad_, however, at least, for me it isn't.
I often get comments on my website (see .sig), and a lot of people are
in situations far worse that I and probably far worse than Steve's; isolated,
without family, denying their Aspergers, depressive... I have been on
a special school and very lucky in having so.

> Harper's mag ran (May 2002) a fascinating biography of someone with
> Aspergers last year.  It has a lot to say about the disorder and the
> NYC Subway System.
>
> Can be found on the web here:
>
> http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/1824_304/85882845/print.jhtml

Interesting.

For the Dutch, which are around here a lot, a biography in Dutch by a
Python-user can be found at:

http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/

    ; )

BTW, a friend of mine knows the periodic system out of his head. I'm
thinking of going to learn this as well, just to train my memory.
Haven't done that for a loooong time, since I left Gymnasium.

yours,
Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/
	http://www.sp.nl/