Tuples, what are they: read-only lists or heterogeneous data arrays?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Mar 12 08:56:23 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:02:39PM +0100, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote in Python-Dev:
> > Tuples are for heterogeneous data, list are for homogeneous data.
> > Tuples are *not* read-only lists.

> This makes me wonder.

Yes, taking Guido too seriously can have that effect on people <1.1 wink>
The trick is in knowing when Guido is proscribing dogmatic law, and when he
is describing his intent when he designed feature(tte)s of Python, or his
point of view at this moment, or how he wished people would see it, or
reacting to what he had for lunch. He's just human, you know, and no more
infallible than the best of us.

I think it may be safer for the general populace (and healthier for their
faith in Python) if Guido would post under a pseudonym instead :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>