GCD in standard library?

Blake Garretson blakeg at metalink.net
Thu Mar 13 09:01:35 EST 2003

Tim Peters wrote in message:
> What advantage would that be?  The speed of gcd on large integers is
> dominated by the speed of large-integer arithmetic, and that's coded in C no
> matter how it's *driven*.

I learn something new every day.  :)

> > I guess I'm wondering why it isn't there.
> Because it's trivial to code in (literally) a few lines of Python.

Yeah, I guess, but I figured it is in the same category as abs().

> ... BTW, I've never seen another user community
> so keen to lobby for inclusion of every 1-, 2- and 3-line function they can
> dream up.

I hope I didn't sound like I was lobbying.  Like I said, I certainly
don't want to bog down the standard library with everyone's pet
function.  I was just wondering what *why* GCD isn't there.  I
actually have quite a bit of faith in you and the other Python
developers, so I always assume there's a good reason for stuff in (or
not in) Python.  :)  Python's design is why I use it over other
languages 98.2% of the time.

Blake G.