distutils changes my scripts when installing (python 2.2)

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVE-THIS-xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 6 20:32:50 EST 2003

Hello
using distutils from python 2.2 changes my scripts that I want it to copy.
Some of them start with:

#! /bin/env python

as the first line.
Instead of just copying them, distutils copies and adjusts the
first line to

#! /usr/bin/python

That is not terrible ofcourse but I didn't expect this.
I read somewhere that using the #! /bin/env blabla  way of
starting scripts on unix was preferable to directly calling
the program that has to execute the script.
But I don't know the reasons behind this.

What do I lose by the change distutils decides to make for me?
Can I somehow tell distutils not to make this change?

Thanks
Irmen de Jong