Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Thu Mar 13 22:42:02 EST 2003

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:
> You're undoubtedly right.  Still, I now think the notion of type
> should be 'an object which supports these operations', not 'an object
> that inherits from this object (or objects)'.

True, but that's a somewhat different issue. You could
still have a parametric type system based around that
notion of type, I think. Maybe.

What I was trying to say is, if you think that static
typing is a good thing at all, it's possible to make
it parametric in a sane way (as opposed to the C++ way.:-)

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,