cross platform application configuration files

Follower follower at iname.com
Sat Mar 1 21:03:50 EST 2003

Lee Harr <missive at frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> I really have no desire to learn the intricacies of using
> the registry, but if there were a module already built where
> ...[snip]...
> it would just "do the right thing" for the platform,
I don't think any other replies have mentioned using anything other
than files, but if you *do* want to transparently use the registry
under Windows (and files under non-Windows platforms) you might want
to consider the configuration features of wxPython/wxWindows.

Admittedly, it's quite possibly over-kill for what you want (although
I think you can use the non-windowing functionality of wxPython
seperately without the windowing features) but the place to start
would be the documentation of the 'wxConfigBase' class
<http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~zeitlin/wxWindows/docs/wxwin72.htm#wxconfigbase>.
This class stores settings in the registry or in a file depending on
the platform.

--Phil.