[Q] Databases -- Gadfly vs Metakit vs SQLite

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Mar 16 03:11:28 EST 2003

Aside from it's dubious parentage, Jet has a reputation for being
excruciatingly slow. I believe, but am not positive, that Outlook uses Jet
and there are times when Outlook is incredibly slow. With a lot of saved
mail message, and after a normal shutdown, Outlook can take several minutes
to startup. It can take a noticable time to switch from viewing one email to
another in the same folder!

Sqlite is my db of choice for it's rubustness, performance, licensing
(totally unencumbered!) and the fact that it comes from a developer with a
sterling reputation across no less than 3 language groups.

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA