OT: Recommended Linux Laptops, suppliers?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Mar 17 22:39:16 EST 2003

> True.  That was the example I had in hand.  For a couple hundred more
> can find you a Sony Viao with undoubtedly better specs.

That would be better. At least that would have firewire too :-)

> > Are you sure that a 1GHz G4 is slower than a 2GHz Celeron? I'm not.
>
> I am.  Despite Apple's claims, the G4 is not that fast.  My graphic
> artist friends (who often use both platforms) will concur. Is a 800MHz
> PowerPC faster than a 900MHz PIII?  Yes, for some things.  Is it
faster
> than a 2GHz <insert any CPU here>? Er, keep it real.

I'm using the following Tom's Hardware chart for my calculations:
http://tinyurl.com/7o76

It seems that, using the motherboard, a 2GHz Celeron is about 20% slower
than a 2GHz P4.

I can't really do the same comparison between a PIII and a P4 since they
never appeared on the same motherboards, but I thought that P4 was
slower than PIII, clock for clock, because to allow for higher clock
speeds, the P4 needed a very deep pipeline. Anybody know?

In other news, here are some VERY old pystone results:

These are the most resent pystone
Celeron 500 (FreeBSD 4)
Pystone(1.1) time for 10000 passes = 1.72
This machine benchmarks at 5818.18 pystones/second

G4/400
Pystone(1.1) time for 10000 passes = 1.5
This machine benchmarks at 6666.67 pystones/second

> Remote display, for one thing.  This might not matter much to many
> people, but the ability to remotely run a graphical application
matters
> *a lot* to me.

Quartz is remote displayable.

> I would think that using PDF would have been independent
> of whether they use X or not.

The Mac OS X display server renders streams of PDF sent by the
application. Where you would layer X in such a scheme? Above X so you
pay a massive performance price converting high-level PDF primitives to
low-level X primitives or below it so applications are reduced to using
X primitives?

Here is a brief overview of Mac OS X graphics:
http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/2q00/macos-x-dp4/macos-x-dp4-4.html

> IIRC, NeXT used Postscript over X.

No, they used DPS without X.

> Anyway, I take it from your answer that they didn't use X?

Nope.

Cheers,
Brian