Fast mailbox parsing

Kai Weber lists at glorybox.de
Wed Mar 19 15:45:44 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:49:40PM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> How big are your mailboxes?  Have you tried caching some of the information
> so you don't have to continually go back and loop over everything?

I am thinking about a cache strategie. But first I am searching for a
faster parse strategie.

> I'm sure 375 msgs/sec isn't as fast as Mutt, but it seems fast enough for
> me.

Uh. Really fast system and harddisk. My scans are appr. 130 msgs/sec on
an JFS.

It depends on how big the mails are. I have some big messages in my
test mailboxes and this makes scanning terribly slow. For now, I have
not found a way to parse the header of a mail only and ignore the body.

Maybe someone could give me a hint, how to use the
email.Parser.HeaderParser on an Unix mailbox.

Kai