Logging _into_ an application

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 20 06:27:41 EST 2003

Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> First: Thanks to all who replied :-)
>
> Irmen de Jong wrote:
> > It seems that you want to have a running application, and be able
> > to do things with it from within another application, while the
>
> Yes, exactly. Thus my next question ;-) Is the Python interpreter interface
> accessible from Python modules? I know the cmd module, but with that I still
> would have to (re)create the input-eval-respond cycle. I don't fear that but
> I would avoid it if the functionality is already accessible.

You don't seem to have followed up on the twisted.manhole suggestion
yet, or you probably wouldn't still be just talking about this. ;-)
If you don't like the example there, there's also the backdoor into
medusa (check in Zope, for example) via the "monitoring server"
(I vaguely recall that's what it's called).  Don't bother redoing
this stuff from scratch without a good reason... others have already
been here.

-Peter