Curses - Win/dos

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Mar 11 17:55:32 EST 2003

Grant Edwards wrote:
> In article <m3llzlk09m.fsf at telia.com>, Andrew Markebo wrote:
>
>>|   I was trying to play around with curses .. and the docs say to import
>>| curses (ofcourse) and run a few methods to setup the screen and such..
>>
>> curses is not included in the standard pure windows build of python,
>> main reason is that there are not much curses libraries out there for
>> pure windows (haven't found when looking around, a while ago though).
>
> There's an implimentation called pdcurses that's available for
> Win32.  I've never used it, and have no idea if it's compatible
> with the Python curses package.

It isn't. I and somebody else on c.l.py tried last year and failed.
It's not that it couldn't be made to work, but it doesn't work OOTB.

> AFAIK, there isn't a Win32 port of ncurses [the curses packages used
> by Linux].

There isn't, but it could be done by writing termcap entries for
win32. At least I recall such a statement from the ncurses maintainer
on the ncurses list.

If you don't want to do a lot of work yourself, Cygwin is currently
the only option. Alternatively, make a win32 implementation *and* a
Unix implementation of the GUI. The win32 implementation could use
/F's [1] console module, for example [2].

Gerhard

[1] Hope he'll rejoin python-dev and/or python-list some day.
[2] http://effbot.org/zone/console-index.htm
mail:   gh at ghaering.de
web:    http://ghaering.de/