Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Mar 17)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 17 09:02:28 EST 2003

Mike Meyer wrote:

> QOTW:  "We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are
> identified by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that devices
> like indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible for
> expressing local structure in the source language." --Donald E. Knuth,
> "Structured Programming with goto Statements", Computing Surveys, Vol 6
> No 4, Dec. 1974

Wait a sec... think about that for a minute.  Is he saying that one
will be able just to list a simple series of commands which draw on
functionality defined in specialized, application-specific modules?

That the resulting language will be so high level that, for the most
part, control flow and complicated nested structures will be unnecessary?

That you might even get by without squiggly brackets and semicolons and
all that jazz because your command set has become so simple, allowing a
convention as simple as *indentation* to be used to define structure?

Wow... sounds almost like...

Autocoding!

-this-post-brought-to-you-by-the-ruebot's-absence-ly y'rs, Peter