Has anyone created a simple POP3 and SMTP server using TWISTED?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Thu Mar 13 23:37:14 EST 2003

Quoth Zoo Keeper <candiazoo at attbi.com>:
| I thought I'd be looking more along the lines of pop3d and smtpd in that
| case.  BeOS is not rich with server code that is free.  There is a version of
| Enamel that works, but is flaky.  I could also wait for Zeta to be released,
| which might solve some of my problems, especially if they implement a full
| network api as the various unix's have.

Might, or might be a mixed blessing if that new network implementation
has some rough edges.  I can't think of any feature missing from 5.0
that would rule out a basic TCP server like SMTP or POP3 (well, you
know that because you have one.)  I can't say it's extremely robust,
sure not the best thing about BeOS, but it does implement the basics.

But there are some limitations.  One that comes to mind is that an
open socket doesn't survive across a fork, so you may want to start
with a single-threaded server that deals with each connection one
by one.  That should work for POP and SMTP, though probably will need
a select with timeout in front of all reads, so the occasional stuck
client doesn't jam the works.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com