Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Mar 11 11:51:36 EST 2003

Alexander Schmolck wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> writes:
>
>> Btw. my pet-peeve in Java is the lack of Ada-like generics, so that in order to
>> avoid casting like hell as you did above, you have to implement your own
>> iterator class for each time.
>
> Then you'll be happy to hear they now fixed that (upcoming jdk has generics, I
> think).

An experimental compiler with generics has been around for a while.
There was even speculation wether it would end up in 1.4.
Unfortunately, it didn't. Any ETA for 1.5? Will they implement other
useful features that were introduced in C#, like indexers, properties,
etc.?

[Cross-post and followup set to a more relevant newsgroup.]

-- Gerhard