Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

sik0fewl xxdigitalhellxx at
Tue Mar 25 15:19:07 CET 2003

Greg Ewing (using wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>> Actually, "I ate three slices of birthday cake today" *DOES* leave it
>> unspecified whether it was slices of the same cake or of different ones,
> I think, if the difference mattered, the speaker would say
> something like "I ate slices from three different birthday
> cakes today". Otherwise I'd tend to assume they were from
> the same cake.

Although, if you use "I have eaten three slices slices of birthday cake
today" it gives the feeling (at least to me) that the slices were eaten
over the course of the day, not necessarily (but possibly) from the same

To me, I don't assume either one cake or multiple cakes when it's said
like this. Of course, this is my interpretation.