Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Fri Mar 14 07:33:15 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Number of Google hits:
>
> Java    32 M
> Perl    12.7 M
> C++     7.6 M
> Python  4.9 M
> Fortran 1.6 M
> Eiffel  810 K
> Ada     227 K
>
> there are lots of false hits in most of these, of course (Monty Python,
> American with Disabilities Act, ...), but still, I _do_ wonder -- less
> visible than WHAT?-)

Perhaps that is an idea for Python 3000. A completely new name instead
of Python, using a word that does not yeat exist, so that we only get
hits unique to that name. ;-)

     from random import choice
     syllables = 'ja va perl c ++ py thon for tran eif fel a da'.split()

     nSyllables = 2
     nWords = 100
     result = {}
     for i in range(nWords):
         result[''.join([choice(syllables)
                 for w in range(nSyllables)])] = 1

     uniqueWords = result.keys()
     uniqueWords.sort()
     print ', '.join(uniqueWords)

There's some good names in there ...

++++, ++eif, ++fel, ++py, ++tran, a++, aa, ac, afel, afor, aja, aperl,
athon, c++, ceif, cfel, cfor, cperl, da++, daa, dafel, daja, daperl,
dapy, datran, dava, eif++, eifa, eifda, eifeif, eifperl, eifthon,
fel++, felc, felda, feleif, felfor, felja, felthon, felva, for++,
fora, forc, forfel, forfor, forperl, forpy, forthon, fortran, jac,
jafor, perl++, perla, perlc, perleif, perlfor, perltran, py++, pyperl,
python, pyva, thona, thoneif, thonfel, thonfor, thonthon, thontran,
tran++, tranda, traneif, tranja, tranperl, tranthon, tranva, va++,
vada, vaeif, vaja, vava

Sorry ... it's friday and I am not in the mood for working.

--

hilsen/regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark

http://www.futureport.dk/
Fremtiden, videnskab, skeptiscisme og transhumanisme