Question regarding a recent article on

Ben S bens at
Thu Mar 20 12:09:00 CET 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:
>   Guido has always frowned on the functional elements of Python.

Why is this? Personally I would have thought that the functional
elements of Python are an important part of what distinguishes it from
being a slightly cleaner version of BASIC? It seems like a lot of sample
code I see here and elsewhere uses map, filter, reduce, and lambda, so
I'd assumed that these features were a significant part of what
attracted people to Python. Maybe I'm wrong? (I'm not exactly an expert
in this language.)

Ben Sizer