Nice quote

Martin Maney maney at pobox.com
Sun Mar 30 17:38:10 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> (I've never understood why people think personal judgments,
> a.k.a. "opinions", are such a bad thing... every has them, but
> nobody likes them? :-)

It's one of those "whose ox?" things.  Everyone likes their own
opinions, because they rarely disagree with them!

Okay, and in news/mailing lists/etc. there is perhaps more of a
tendency for folks to use "that's just an opinion" when they have
nothing more substantial than their own differing opinions but prefer
not to draw attention to the fact.  Used properly, this will sometimes
even convince observers other than themseleves that their position is
much more soundly based than their opponent's.

Of course, all this is just my opinion.  :-)