Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Mar 5 17:58:19 EST 2003

philh at cabalamat.org (phil hunt) wrote in
news:slrnb6ceqj.j67.philh at cabalamat.uklinux.net:

> On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:50:27 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>At the moment, it's actually "fast enough", so this isn't an
>>urgent concern.  On the other hand, our intention is to use this
>>simulator to allow true test-driven development of embedded
>>system code (which, I believe, may well be a "first"), and
>>as we grow the number of tests we will doubtless become interested
>>in better performance.  With the P3 machine we can run at 1/100
>>the native CPU speed, but I'd like to see something an order of
>>magnitude faster.
>
> I'm sure the thought of re-coding it in C/C++ has occurred to you.
>
> Writing a machine code emulator isn't something I'd
> consider Python to be the natural choice for. And I doubt if the C
> code would be much (if any) more complex.

hehe, it was my fisrt thought to use python.... i wrote a simulator for an
MSP430 embedded 16 bit processor ;-)

my approach was verry modular, so that the peripheral modules can be added
later and could be simulated too (e.g. the RAM mapped multiplier works :-)
i have also different watches and i'm using the observer pattern for the
CPU registers, so that a GUI is easily built so i don't expect too much
performance from it and i have not profiled it...

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>