Compiling Python with MinGW

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at
Fri Mar 21 01:04:10 CET 2003

"Jason Harper" <JasonHarper at> wrote in message
news:3E7A09CD.2CD12858 at
> Has anybody had any luck compiling Python 2.3 (NOT just Python
> extensions) for Windows 2000 using MinGW or other free compilers?  I
> want to try something that involves modifications to the core, and don't
> particularly want to pay Microsoft for the privilege...
> Just for fun, I tried disabling the posix module and continuing with the
> make.  I was able to get a python.exe that is runnable, but not usable -

I'm speaking from a position of profound ignorance here, but don't you need
to enable an appropriate os module: to the best of my recollection this is

Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield at
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)