PEP 312 (and thus 308) implemented with a black magic trick

Drew Perttula drewp at bigasterisk.com
Wed Mar 26 16:00:14 EST 2003

Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1048071128.22193.python-list at python.org>...

> So, who's going to be the first to implement ++x using this technique?

To my knowledge, it's exarkun. He wrote
http://intarweb.us:8080/evil/increment.py a long
time ago.

Let the directory name in the URL serve
as the "do not use this" indicator. I repeat, for
the benefit of any C programmers who think there's
something relevant about ++ for Python: ++ incrementing
is unclear, non-useful, and not part of Python's syntax
despite what hacks can make it appear to work. Do not
use the increment.py module.