Python and Nuclear Safety (Re: PEP 312 (and thus 308) implemented with a black magic trick)

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Tue Mar 18 20:17:49 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> I remember Peter Hansen complaining about properties, because you could
> write an apparently innocuos statement like 'c.x=1' and have any kind
> of side effects, including activating a nuclear weapon (or something like
> that

PSU Public Announcement
-----------------------

Although it is unusual for the PSU to make public statements,
we have decided to do so on this occasion to allay any fears
that the above post may have engendered in the populance.

We would like to assure everyone that we have been assiduous
in our efforts to ensure that our country's nuclear arsenal
cannot be accidentally activated by any such occurrence.
A nuclear strike can only be initiated by four Python
programmers executing four different innocuous-looking
expressions simultaneously in geographically separated
locations.

The particular expressions required are changed on a
daily basis, and held securely in encrypted form scribbled
on a piece of paper kept under the President's pillow.
Last Thursday, for example, they were x+=3, int(42),
import re and s=s[::-1]. (We cannot, of course, reveal
today's codes, otherwise we would have to use the time
machine to go back and eliminate your grandparents.)

We hope that this information will set the public's mind
at rest.

Finally, as always, the PSU does not exist, and we do not
have a time machine. Please look into the light. <zap>

[End Public Announcement]