[Q] Databases -- Gadfly vs Metakit vs SQLite

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Mar 16 02:48:11 EST 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote:

> "yaipa h." wrote:
>>
>> If you are not worried about cross platform, then why not
>> use the Jet (access) DB.
>
> Yes, that's part of Windows, so it's almost safe to assume that it's
> there, and you can get to it through com.  However, I don't want to
> worry one bit about what version is there or if MS will put in changes
> in subsequent releases that will break my application.  And I'd rather
> embed the database so that I don't have to worry about the user changing
> it with an MS desktop app to violate my rules of relational integrity
> and crash my app.

Thus speaks the voice of experience!!!

Let me commend and second this attitude: unless you have specific
user requirements to the contrary, AVOID relying on closed-source
components if you can.  By using open-source components, and bundling
them with your application if feasible, you may be able to make your
applications more long-lived and thus more valuable, without being
at the mercy of the closed-source supplier.

Alex