Website using Python--what's best architecture? CGI?

Chris bit_bucket5 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:55:33 EST 2003

I would like to create a commercial website using Python.  It seems
that straight CGI would be the easiest option, but I'm wondering what
its top capacity would be, and also what other options are commonly
available for a website that I will be hosting through a commercial
host.  Here are some specific questions:

1. Is there any good ballpark figure on an upper limit of throughput
for Python cgi pages that need to connect to mysql?  I realize this
depends on many things, but I guess I am wondering if this is even a
sane option for a "moderately busy" website where almost all pages
will be dynamic and will need to create a db connection?  I'm thinking
online store if that helps at all.

2. What are other options available via commercial hosts?  Is
something like "mod_python" or "Webware" commonly available on
commercial hosts (I know nothing much about either one, btw)?  Or some
of the other Python web application frameworks I see mentioned?  Seems
like a lot of these would require that you own the hosting machine and
have total control over it, which wouldn't be an option here.

Any words of advice appreciated.  I really would like to develop it in
Python and don't want to go down a path that is unrealistic.

-Chris