Stream Abstractions in python?

Daniel Nielsen djn at
Tue Mar 11 13:30:40 CET 2003

I'm toying around with python... The only reason I see right now to
continue using java for distributed stuff, is java's
Data{In,Out}putStream with sockets. Is there an equivalent abstraction
to TCP streams in Python? I have been looking around,
but couldnt anything...

Using google I've found ,
which seems to do what I want, but I'd like to see what other
alternatives there are out there.

Note: I do not require it to be compatible with java's streams, I'd
just like the convenience of readUTF/writeUTF and friends.

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced
by circumstances to meet.
		-- Admiral William Halsey