Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Mar 8 14:44:08 EST 2003

Aahz wrote:

> In article <3E691B8A.50780217 at engcorp.com>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
>
> BTW, I don't see any evidence that you're using python -O; if not, that
> would account for the primary speedup of 2.3a2.

You're quite correct.  I basically never use -O, mostly because
I never think of it (nor care about performance enough).  A quick
test shows that with Python 2.2 and -O, I can get roughly half
the speedup that I get going to Python 2.3.  I'll investigate
more thoroughly on a work machine next week.

-Peter