Really, Amazingly Silly Question

Nick Vargish nav at adams.patriot.net
Thu Mar 20 12:56:48 EST 2003

"Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" <me at privacy.net> writes:

> The unix world is a lot more messy and complicated than
> the Windows world, no argument. That's what you get with
> a culture that has such a long, rich and varied history.

It's also a culture in which most software distributors respect the
user's right to determine the behavior of their own machines.

<rant>
I'd rather run configure (which fails fairly rarely in my experience),
over an installer that puts icons on my desktop and quickstart bar,
adds items to my startup, plays audio, changes my background image,
puts running programs in my taskbar, replaces system libraries, and
other "less messy" actions.
</rant>

Sorry, I've been in windowsland a lot lately, and had to get that off
my chest.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* SigMask 0.3 (sig.c) 19990429 PUBLIC DOMAIN "Compile Me" */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(*v-1)&&main(0,v+ /* Tweaks welcomed. */