Native Python Server Pages - mod_psp

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Mar 18 13:26:32 EST 2003

yaipa at yahoo.com (yaipa h.) wrote in message news:<6e07b825.0303180732.128cce16 at posting.google.com>...

> Which all leads me to wonder, once again, why I have not seen a Python
> implementation of the JavaBeans architecture. Where JavaBeans have really
> only been widely used as a server technology, I believe Python could
> be both successful as stand alone client product and a server product for
> serving up dynamic web content similar to Java Servlets using 'Beans.

I suppose there's a wider issue of what JavaBeans were/are and what a
Python implementation would achieve. One of the things that
"impressed" people with JavaBeans was the easy way of finding out the
properties of beans, although that was just a combination of a
standardised naming convention and improved introspection capabilities
in the Java of the day; on this front, Python already has/had
"bean-like" capabilities.

There were other things about JavaBeans that fascinated people, like
the various event models that came with the framework, and such models
were supposed to make things like graphical user interface development
somewhat easier. I haven't really done any GUI programming for a long
time - at least not in the mainstream sense - and one might question
whether various other approaches aren't better, anyway.

> In a Servlet like technology, *pyBeans* can then be used to achieve the
> separation of Python code from html tags.  To which I believe is what
> Steve is driving at in his reply to Sterling Hughes' post about PSP.

Well, in the sense of applying JavaBeans to JSP resources, I think tag
libraries have superceded the "jsp:useBean" stuff that you are
presumably referring to. Personally, I find "raw JSP" dreadful, and
tag library frameworks only a marginal improvement.

It's interesting to see another Python-in-HTML solution in the light
of the numerous Web frameworks and presentation technologies already
available:

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming

In the wider open source community, I don't think it would be an
overestimate to suggest that as many as one new code-in-HTML solution
gets released every week.

Paul