Unbuffer stdout?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Wed Mar 26 22:10:19 EST 2003

Donn Cave wrote:
> Another peculiarity I noticed when I tried this out - on some
> platforms, when you run "yes" with popen2(), the process even
> survives its python parent, and not only survives but becomes
> very active.  This is because python turns off SIGPIPE (sets
> it to SIG_IGN), and on some platforms the fork inherits this
> setting.

That means it must survive the exec as well as the fork...

Sounds like a misfeature to me -- ignoring SIGPIPE is
something you only want to do when you're making some
other arrangement about handling broken pipes. It's
not something you want to foist onto an unsuspecting
program!

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,