Unbuffer stdout?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Thu Mar 27 04:10:19 CET 2003

Donn Cave wrote:
> Another peculiarity I noticed when I tried this out - on some
> platforms, when you run "yes" with popen2(), the process even
> survives its python parent, and not only survives but becomes
> very active.  This is because python turns off SIGPIPE (sets
> it to SIG_IGN), and on some platforms the fork inherits this
> setting.

That means it must survive the exec as well as the fork...

Sounds like a misfeature to me -- ignoring SIGPIPE is
something you only want to do when you're making some
other arrangement about handling broken pipes. It's
not something you want to foist onto an unsuspecting

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
Christchurch, New Zealand