Profiling Embedded Code

Andrew Wilkinson ajw126NO at SPAMyork.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 16:31:18 EST 2003

Hi,

I've got some Python code that is embedded into a C application, and I'd
like to profile it. Unfortunatly I can't get the standard profile module to
work.

My C code imports a module, and then at the appropriate time calls the
UpdateGameData function. When the module is imported I'd like to do a 'test'
run of the function, with the profiler on to perform a simple check on it.
(I know this is not a particually good way to profile the code, but I'd like
to get it working and then move on...)

The module is given (slightly trimmed) here...
---
def UpdateGameData(time):

import profile
p = profile.Profile()
p.run('UpdateGameData(0)')
--

With this code I get the following exception...
Traceback (most recent call last):

Now this seems very silly to me as 'UpdateGameData' obviously is defined. I
had a look in the code for profile and it seems to mess around with
__main__, but I'm not sure that it's pointing at the right place.

Any suggestions for how to get this to work would be much appreciated,
Regards,
Andrew Wilkinson