Perl Vs Python

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Sat Mar 8 04:36:01 EST 2003

On Saturday 08 March 2003 01:00 am, Isaac To wrote:
>     >>  The disadvantages I think is probably speed, poor documentation
>     >> among other things. My experience in some hobby apps I have written
>     >> is that python is atleast 10-20% slower than C/C++ and 1-5% slower
>     >> than Perl.
>
>     Dennis> For an interpreted language vs a long history of optimized
>     Dennis> compiled languages, 10-20% is in the noise.
>
> I think 10-20% is something completely unscientific.  My personal feeling
> from writing a Mandelbrot plotter in Python with TkInter is that Python is
> at least 10 times slower, if not 100 or 1000 times, if core logic is placed
> there.  This is no big surprise: deciphering two objects, adds up the
> results in it, add them together and build an object corresponding to the
> sum is of course much much slower than just add up integers in 2 memory
> locations and put the sum in another.

How slow it is compared to C/C++ is based on what you are doing with it. For
somethings it is within 10-20% and sometimes less it just depends where your
app is spending most of its time. 10-1000 times slower although if yours is
100-1000 times slower then your program probably has an error as has been
demonstrated on another thread here recently on speeding up an image app buy
using different data structures.

For my own uses python is more then fast enough but my apps are also mostly io
and network bound not cpu bound.