LDAP server in Python

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Mon Mar 17 08:57:50 EST 2003

I'm looking at LDAP as a possible service for some projects, and
I'm struck by the fact that I know pretty much nothing about it.
On the basis that I always learn better by playing about with
things rather than just reading about them, I'd like to set up a
sandbox environment.

For clients, that's not a problem, but the only LDAP servers
I'm aware of are big beasts like MS Active Directory or Oracle
Internet Directory.

I was wondering if there was a simple LDAP server implementation
written in Python, which I could use as a test system. It doesn't
have to be big, or particularly scalable. I don't even *need*
persistence (I'd be willing to re-enter the directory details
each time I started the server). But it does need to run on
Windows 2000.

I've checked the Vaults of Parnassus, and couldn't see anything
there. Does Twisted include an LDAP server (I couldn't see one)?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Moore