OT: Re: Prime number algo... what's wrong?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Mar 27 15:35:14 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote previously:
|I have a web site, but I've had to block access from all sites since
|I have various concerns about the foreign policies and human rights
|records of every country on the planet (and some others besides).
|As a result, I get very little traffic...  sad, really.

I share such concern, but would tend to feel that present concern
weights some issues over others.  Maintainers will have to make their
own judgements about severity, immediacy, likelihood-of-effect, and so
on, in creating their access policies.

I've mentioned to Phil (the site maintainer for the prime number
resources) that I think he is overbroad in his block--only three
countries (USA, UK, Australia) are engaging in direct aggression.  The
rest are merely giving tacit and passive "moral support" to varying
degrees, and all out of political considerations that have nothing to do
with Iraq, per se (e.g.  Eastern European nations that want support on
NATO membership from USA).  Of course, I myself do not block anyone; but
I have affixed a banner to almost all my pages expressing political
opinion... which is a far more important thing now than any trite issues
of programming.

Just to attempt a slight thread connection, perhaps one could filter
access by the primality of incoming IP addresses.  I'll have to check
the site for efficient techniques.

Yours, Lulu...

--
    _/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Postmodern Enterprises _/_/_/