is win api available in native python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Mar 24 06:04:00 EST 2003

Phil wrote:

> I see python has a windows api extension.  But is there something
> available in the native python to close an open dialup connection.  and
> also to exit windows or force shutdown.  I guess I'm looking for the way
> to load and call one of the windows dlls if possible.  I would think I

What you call "the native python", i.e. presumably the standard Python
distribution for Windows without extensions, has no way to "load and
call one of the Windows DLLs".  For such purposes, you do need SOME
add-on or other (I think Heller's ctypes, http://sf.net/projects/ctypes ,
is probably your best bet -- but, it IS identified as still Alpha-stage
in its own project page).

Alex